Saturday, December 13, 2008

New Job Update

So, I have completed my first week of 'training' for my new job. We started out the week with about 25 people and the first 2 days were spent going over corporate stuff that I wish I could have been excused from. But, I wasn't willing to kill 2 days of vacation to get out of so I sat through it. On day 3 we split in to our various positions with our trainers and hoped to get in to the meat of our new jobs.
At the risk of sounding a bit negative, it has been very unorganized. I don't believe that there is an actual training manuel, so it is just up to the individual trainers to do what ever and hope to get people up to speed.
Finally on Friday we got to actually get in to the computer programs and start manuevering around. It seems that it will be a relatively easy job. I will be clearing application packets and ordering transcripts if necessary. Checking through the application literally takes only a couple of minutes to look it over and input any information that didn't already share in to the system when the student fills out the application. The only other thing we do is put in an order for transcripts, and check the accreditation of the previous schools.
So, we just clear the applications as they are sent to us, and run a daily report so we can close a file as soon as the transcripts come in. It sounds like heaven. I have also learned that I actually work for the company now. I now get to take part in all the neat stuff that goes on such as Christmas parties. They have a program called 'Walk in my shoes", where you can check out other jobs in the company by shadowing someone in the position to try it out. We also are allowed 2 days a year, paid, to volunteer in the community. Several of the events, such as Climb for Cancer which is an annual fund raising hike, the company will also pay the sign up fee. I get to pick my work hours, and only have to take a 30 minute lunch. My plan is to work from 6-2:30, which makes me VERY happy. I am on a small team of 5 total people, all of whom seem very nice. I will be in training until January 5th, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The only down side of that is the hours. We do 8-5 which seems incredibly long, and the commute is ridiculous at those hours. I hope we can adjust that later on.

Rick is set to start his treatment regimen this
week. On Tuesday he will go to a one hour class to learn how to give himself injections. On the right front of the picture you can see his first 4 hypodermic needles! He gets to shoot up once a week. The biohazard kit is the big red thing in the back. This is where we will get to store the used ones. The pretty 2-tone purple pill minder that will store his 3 morning and 3 evening pills.
We have also learned some of the more exciting side effects that are possible. The list includes: SEVERE depression, hair loss, (this causes the depression) possible retinal detachment, diarrhea, fatigue, and nausea including vomiting. He should not operate machinery, including his truck, which also probably includes large aircraft.
There have been moments when he has considered that the disease itself doesn't sound as bad as the side effects. We are, of course, crossing our fingers that none of these possible things happen, and that he just gets a better, prettier liver when the 48 weeks is up!

7 comments:

Grandmajoann said...

How my heart goes out to him. He must be very frightened. I do hope that none of the side effects happen. I especially hope he doesn't loose his hair. Well, they loose it all over, so how would that be? We would finally be able to see his entire face...LOL To think of not driving would drive me crazy. Lots of luck with that also.

Anonymous said...

The job sounds like it is going to be so much better, especially the little added benefits. I want to get paid to go hike for cancer, and volunteer!

Rick don't screw around with your liver, gitter done! It sounds awful, but hopefully all the side effects were experienced by some jerk during the experimental trial period and you just breeze through it. Love you!!

Jen said...

The new job does sound like it will be lovely once you get through the "training period".

I also hope that Rick does not experience any nasty side effects. Nobody wants to see a hairless beaver!

Tilley/Booth said...

Despite all the drugs, the two of you seem to be very on top of things and well organized! I wish you both the best of luck in your adventures! We love you!

Nate said...

I wouldn't even know where to start with all those needles and drugs. It looks very overwhelming. You just have to look at it as another challenge that life has thrown at you. Just like all the others, you will get through this one and you will be stronger people because of it.

I am glad that you're new job is going well and I'm sure in the long run you will never regret the move.

Jessica said...

I am so glad that you get the perks of working for a company and hope that you truly enjoy what you will be doing, or at least not stressed out and hating going to work every day.

Denise said...

Rick, I shoot my horses up daily usually so let me know if you need a hand! And I agree with Ang, hopefully those side effects are rare. And lets face it...you have PLENTY of hair!!! If you lose a little it could make life more manageable LOL. I love you guys and just stick to the program!