Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Couple of Different things

I'm a little bit lazy this year about decorating. It really does seem kind of pointless when it never looks or feels like Christmas. I got the lights out a couple of weeks ago and was going to put them on the house, but I dropped a string and broke several bulbs. We have the old fashioned big C-9 bulbs, and I have not been able to find replacements this year, so I got irritated and put them away. It seemed like way too much effort to put up the tree, but I was at Big Lots the other day and I found this little 5 footer that already had the light on it. It was only 20 bucks so I bought it and threw a few decorations on it. It took just a few minutes vs. several hours that it would have taken to string the lights on the big one. It adds a little cheer and didn't take too much time or energy so I am happy!

We have had some rain this week, and I am happy to report that the drains that we put in worked like champs! It wasn't the heavy monsoon storms like we get in the summer, but it was a pretty steady rain for several hours. We had no puddling at all. YEA!

Rick started his meds and gave himself his first shot yesterday. He said the shot was no big deal to do, and he has not seemed to have any effects. We went to Costco last night right after he took his pills, and he got somewhat shaky, but once we ate he was fine. He confessed that perhaps he hadn't done a very good job of eating that day, so that probably explains it. He is supposed to eat, preferably something fatty, before he takes the pills. I hope that he will eventually learn to feed himself. I guess if he gets sick enough maybe he will make it a priority.

5 comments:

Nate said...

So I guess the one thing we got going for us up here at the NORTH POLE is that is "feels" like the holidays. I am sure when your basking in the 80 degree weather; it is hard to get in the holiday spirit, but let me tell you; after shoveling the driveway for the third time today; I am ready to switch you places.

I don't envy Rick and I can't imagine how hard it must be to give yourself an injection. I'm sure it will get better and easier.

The tree looks fabulous and I hope you guys have a wonderful holiday.

Anonymous said...

I second Nate's motion, let's get the Hell out of here!!!

It snowed about 4 inches this morning and as soon as it gone done it started raining so tonight when it freezes we will wake up to ICE everywhere!

Rick, you are a trooper! Keep it up and for godsakes man eat something!

Jen said...

I'm glad that your drain works and I am glad that, so far, Rick's treatment is going okay. Unfortunately no one ever has to remind me to eat, I have to remind myself that I don't need to snack all day long.

Sheryl said...

Just for the record the 80 degree temps are LONG gone, and it has settled in to the 50's and sometimes 60's. Night's haven't hit the freeze mark yet, but they are not too far off. The sucky thing about that is, Rick works nights, outside, for 10 hours a night.

I can only giggle at the snow shoveling. I did my fair share for years. Lest you forget, Craiger didn't buy a snowblower until he lost his manual one! (me) I used to curse like a lumberjack while I was out there doing it, so I do know how you feel Nate.

I have one word for you guys in Erie.....Charlotte!

Grandmajoann said...

Oh my, what can I say to all this! First, good luck Rick. I do hope all this you are going thru does the trick and in 48 weeks you will be completely healed...We do say a prayer for you each night.
Larry now has our snow blower and he is mighty thankful for it. Tremonton gets much more snow than us.
We only have about six feet of driveway that we have to shovel, so we have improved on that. We have had temperatures down in the 10 degree zone at night. Burrrrrrr