Thursday, July 24, 2008

If no news is good news, this news isn't great...


Richard was asked to be on the phone this morning at 7am for a mandatory conference call. This call went well for about 10 minutes. Right up until the time it was announced that 6 of 16 people in Rick's department would be losing their current jobs on Aug. 29. Guess what? Rick is in the bottom 6 on the seniority list.
However, all is not lost. They are also creating 6 positions in another dept, one of which we lost no time in putting in for. He also called the guy who had previously interviewed him for a Tech Docs position to see if that job had been filled.
He has just learned from a co-worker (who was also on the bottom 6 and friends with the union rep) that there are many positions back on the line that need to be filled as well. We are crossing our fingers and are cautiously optimistic that there will be no reason to worry about being unemployed. Instead of being out of a job, he may just be in a different job. There is also a possibility of putting in for an opening soon to be available in Pittsburgh. Cross your fingers and we will keep you posted.

9 comments:

Jen said...

Well that is not good. Hopefully Rick will be able to move into one of the other jobs. How would you guys feel about moving to Pittsburg? It would be nice for you guys to be close to the Barnes family, but it would suck to have to sell your house. Keep us informed of any updates.

Tilley/Booth said...

I am sure that all will work out fine. What ever happens, where ever you go, there is always a phone, a car and an aiplane to stay in touch> Good luck!

Nate said...

I'm 110% confident Rick will get one of the other positions; I just hope it is in Pittsburgh. It would be nice having you guys right down the road. Our neighbors just drove to Indianapolis for the weekend to see the Nascar race, so your camp trailer and race day would still be possible out here!!

Anonymous said...

Pittsburgh! Pittsburgh! Pittsburgh!
(OK I may be biased but it would be fun.)

Think of it as an adventure! Right?

Anonymous said...

I just realized you put up pics of Smuggler's Dwarf at Gobblers Knob, I love it, can't quit smiling!

Our neighbor was telling us that Rum Runners (remember the shady sign pointing down the shady alley down from the Dwarf) is awesome.

Steph Thompson said...

Whatever happens will happen, and it will be good. Good Luck!

Sheryl said...

We are trying not to stress over the whole thing too much. The guy who is friends with the union rep has decided to just to back to being a mechanic. That seems to be an option as well. The only unknown at this time is seniority.

Ang, I thought you would appreciate Smugglers Dwarf. At the possibility of my flight benefits going away, I want to come out again before the end of August. We will have to check out Rum Runners.

Nate, I did mention to Rick that Pittsburgh offers many more options for NASCAR weekends. There are a TON of tracks out that way. :-}

thebeaver said...

Thanks Nate and all of you for supporting us. I will explore my options. Who knows...Pittsburgh is not out of the question folks.

Denise said...

I am psychic and I see all turning out well. Not sure what that means....but no need for panic. xoxo