Well, I guess there is finally something to report as far as Rick's job situation is concerned.
He is officially done with his job in Maintenance Control. The rest of the thing is a cluster bomb, and has not been without trauma. Let's see.....they eliminated the 6 positions, one of them being Ricks. They are creating 6 positions in another area. All of the guys whose positions were eliminated are asked if they are interested in the new positions. Those who were interested interviewed, Rick included. Then, Rick went out to Charlotte to interview for the Supervisor position there. THEN, an official letter thingy is sent out to all of them listing out the options for continued employment. Attached to it was a sort of bid sheet where they were to list in order of preference the jobs that they had interest in moving to, which they had like 48 hours to do.
So, 2 days before he is without a job, Rick is asking around trying to find out what he is supposed to do, when and where he is supposed to show up for work next. His manager comes unglued on him, yelling that it is not his problem, he is not responsible to find them jobs, and he (Rick) needs to find a job for himself. We were under the impression that he has been doing that, interviewing for new positions, yet being assured by the company that they all still have jobs.
Well, he has not heard back from Charlotte yet, and as it turns out, the new positions are coming.....but not for a while, and when push comes to shove the only thing he can really do is go back to being a mechanic. If they had just said that to begin with, it certainly would have saved a lot of worry. Also, he could have had his shift in place before now and maybe already had a lead position like one of the other guys who has to move back. Jim just decided from the get go that he would go back to the hanger to work and was able to land a lead spot. At this point they have a couple of Lead positions to fill, so Rick has set up an interview for that. It is basically the same job he was doing when we moved here that he really didn't care for. The difference now is that it is a union position so you can't have guys threatening you with a grievance.
So, Rick will be back working at the hanger on graveyard shift with Wed, Thur. and Friday nights off, and will continue to look for other jobs in the company.
As a side note, I managed to pull off a Meets Expectations for my last review period at work, and am now furiously seeking a different department to work for myself. I have an interview for a Finance Counselor position tomorrow. Cross your fingers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Does anyone at US Airways have any idea what they are doing? Would it have been so hard to give these guys their options from the start? When I hear what goes on with you guys and Stephanie and others at their jobs, it makes me really grateful that even if I don't make much money at least I work with nice people. I will keep my fingers crossed that both of you manage to move into jobs that you can live with.
Good luck with the interview! I will cross our fingers for Rick. Now mother, this is why I don't go get a REAL job. Because unless I am homeless and unable to feed my dog....I am just gonna work for myself :)
Wow.. sounds like some of you people work for some real assholes (excuse the french) If I had a boss who let off on me, I would put them back in their place & most likely would go postal. I have no respect for that kind of harrasment. There is no excuse for someones boss to go off on you. Anyhow, hope the interview goes well. We should all be working for ourselves.
It does make one wonder if any of those people know what the heck they are doing. Rick did sit down with one of the directors over at the hanger, and he did tell Rick that they have had a plan in place for doing a lot of this stuff, but when fuel spiked so high and so fast, they had to make decisions on the fly. Sort of upset the apple cart. We really are grateful that he does have a job and an income. He will just have to start all over again working his way up the food chain. I would hope that the experience he has gained will help pull him back up quicker.
Denise, believe me if I had a skill I would consider working for myself. I just don't have anything marketable. I really don't think that there are many jobs for a 54-year-old hooker!
The situation sucks but atleast he does have a job and some pretty cool skills.
Jen definitely hit it, people make a huge difference in any situation being tolerable, enjoyable or down right stressful. I guess we've got to stay flexible, not that we really have much choice!
It sounds like Rick is doing everything he can to get the job he wants. I have to agree with Jef, "settling" for a job and boss that you do not like is not the way to go. I'm convinced you and Rick will get the jobs you want because you're both persistent and neither of you settle; you do what you have to do, but you're always looking for a better opportunity.
Maybe the dream doesn't always pay the bills, but it sure makes the journey a lot more interesting.
Post a Comment