Sunday, August 2, 2009

Fun in the Sun



So, I have been struggling with this thing for a couple of hours off and on. For some reason when I type it has been taking forever for each letter to appear. I finally shut down the computer and started over. It seems to be working.
Yesterday morning when I went out to start my day, I noticed that we seem to have some sort of 'crop circles' drying in our yard. This is an area underneath the hated (by me) Cottonwood
tree. The lawn gets watered every night, and when it starts to dry out, it drys in this alien inspired pattern. It is a bit disturbing to think that the lords of the underworld are messing with my yard.






Speaking of the lords of the underworld, the gophers are still alive and well and surfacing every so often. I watered down a mound this morning and located the hole. As we know, trying to drown them does no good. We have tried this many times. So, I only used the hose to open the hole.







As we speak, the truck is running noxius fumes in to the lair.
We have been advised that this is the best way to insure their demise. We are hoping that about 30 minutes worth of idling gas fumes will take care of the problem.
If it does not, we may take the same tack as one of the neighbors who says he is going to lay a fine gavanized mesh over his entire yard, and then cover it with several tons of rock.
I like that idea!






9 comments:

Grandmajoann said...

What a pain that is to you. Why are gophers so difficult to get rid of?
As for the aliens, I have no idea....

Jen said...

You really do have a problem with the lords of the underworld! Hopefully you were able to exterminate them with your exhaust fumes.

Kellie said...

Lol, sorry I know it is so annoying for you but I have to laugh. If the fumes don't do it I don't know that much else will. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

The gophers will NEVER die!!! Their sole purpose is to torment you... as lords of the underworld they have been commanded to do so!

I will, however, cross my fingers that you don't have to resort to mesh and a ton of rocks!

Sheryl said...

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The freaking animal is STILL out there. He has backfilled the hole we ran the exhaust in to.

On the up side, I did find a dead mouse in my shed yesterday. At least I have killed some kind of rodent.

Nate said...

I think you should embrace the gophers. We have rabbits, chipmunks, squirrels, ground hogs, beetles, and fireflies infesting our yard, but instead of trying to get rid of them; we enjoy them.

Okay, okay...the truth is: we are too lazy to try to capture or displace our wildlife and we only enjoy them sometimes. After seeing how much trouble you have had, I think we will continue our approach.

Denise said...

OMG mother you are killing me. I just imagine these gophers just living to torture you LOL.

I have to send Butch down for the weekend to kill gophers huh?

Matt-n-Jef said...

You know your a redneck when you place a hose down a gopher hole.. Only a redneck could have thought of that one.

Sheryl said...

NATE! Your wildlife isn't digging big mounded holes in your yard. Of course you can embrace that kind of wildlife. I am afraid they are under the house and the whole thing will eventually cave in.......wait a minute! That might be better than fire.