Sunday, May 3, 2009

Apparently, We Live on a Farm

We arrived home from the wedding festivities last weekend to find that our gopher's have awakened from hibernation, or what ever it is that they do down there, and had dug several new holes in the back yard.

The new holes always make me a little crazy, and even though I know better, my first instinct is always to stick a hose in the hole and fill it with water. This is crazy because I have been doing this every time for a couple of years now, and we still have gophers. At any rate, in went the hose and I let it run for over 1/2 an hour.



When I finally went back out to turn off the hose, I noticed water running down the alley in back of the house. Apparently the little bugger had dug a hole out there too and water was filling his tunnel and draining out in to the alley.









Just for distance purposes, I am taking this picture
from where the holes are and the water is coming out on the other side of the fence back there.
Do NOT think for one minute that I have drowned anyone. There are fresh diggings in the back yard as I write this!



On a happier note, my tomato plant is doing fairly well. I have two little tomatoes, and am hoping for more to blossom shortly. I highly endorse the Topsy Turvey! But, I digress.



Not only did we come home to gopher holes, we also have a couple of rabbits who seem to think they live here. We had spotted them on our way to work last Thursday morning. One was in the back yard and one was on the out side of the fence digging for all it was worth to get under the fence to hook up with his friend. We chased them off, but on arriving home after the weekend, find that they are quite comfortable here.
I do not recall posting a sign that says "Mi casa es su casa", never-the-less one of them seems to be right at home. Every day when we come home from work it is sitting in the shade of the carport. You can see how close the truck tire comes as Rick pulls in, and he is not phased at all.









Not only have we been graced with rabbits, but the across the street neighbor's chicken has decided that our shrubbery looks like a fantastic place to raise her chicks.
I am neither pleased, nor amused at having chicken crap all over my front porch. My theory has always been that if I wanted chicken crap all over my yard, I would acquire my own chickens.
I am thinking about getting a coon hound, or perhaps papillon! Stephanie tells me that Connie Frances brings in dead birds all the time. However, the chicken is about 4 times bigger than Connie, so I'm not completely convinced the papillon could handle the problem.



15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes you do live on a farm! Just think how much fun TWO weiner dogs would have chasing and hunting on your property... just a thought! Both Bella and Baby are obsessed with chasing the robins as they fly in and hang out on the lawn. The bunnies around here are just barely coming out but we have only had one or two in the yard so far, so it will be interesting to see what the dogs decide to do about them or if the bunnies will even come around with Bella to contend with.

On another note... are they all just chickens or are they a part of a cockfighting ring????

Kellie said...

Ok I thought the title of the blog was funny, but reading it got even better! Maybe its the tomato plant!

Jen said...

Coonhound! Coonhound!

Sheryl said...

We have wondered if there might be cock fighting. I have been in the alley behind their house, and to be fair, there are a LOT of chickens and baby chicks, but there are also more than 1 or 2 roosters so we do wonder. They have parties back there and have built a block wall around the property that is 8 or 10 feet high. They play music really loud, perhaps to hide other sounds? Maybe next time they are partying I will call the sheriff and have them take a peek.

Tilley/Booth said...

Well mom I think I would prefer gopher holes over rat holes! Remember when I bought the poison sticks at Lowes? I only got 1 dead rat out of it! Next it will be snake holes. Don't you think the racoons should be killing those things!

Sheryl said...

I would definitely prefer gophers over rats, however, they are all disgusting.

I don't know if racoons kill other animals. Of course I think they SHOULD. Something should!

Anonymous said...

Jolyn - stay away form those coons I don't want you getting rabies!! Don't you have a son that has a BB gun that might want to target practice at some rats!!

Grandmajoann said...

Oh my gosh! I wouldn't know what to do if I had all those animals running around! I would be a nervous wreck. Good luck with them. And, it was very nice seeing you this past weekend.

Denise said...

Mother, can't you just let those rabbits live in peace? They are doin great there and they like it.

Obviously they are cock fighting. We should look into that....

Julie said...

I'm not laughing, really I'm not! Okay mabey a little. No one but you could be could be so discusted and so hilarious at the same time.

Tilley/Booth said...

As a matter of fact Colton set food outside of the hole and WAS on standby with the BB gun. He sat there for about an hr. did a lot of shooting in the hole. As soon as he went in I looked outside and the food was gone.

And I agree with Denise, the bunnysare doin great!

Sheryl said...

The bunnies are digging holes in my yard just like the stinking gopher! The chickens are crapping everywhere and NONE of these animals are mine!

LEave the bunnies alone my aching butt!

Matt-n-Jef said...

Cock a doodle doo.. Leave the cute little bunny wabbits alone.. Just bring them in and cuddly wubby with them.

We have had Rats in the house and it ain't pretty. Put that damn rat poising in the walls around the holes and put wiring around them as well.. to keep them out and kill the huge f#$$%^ers.. The poopies were not a welcome sight in our Pantry.

We even got the traps to trap them alive and let them go. I do have a heart.. After a while I was over it.. Kill em off with the electronic traps. I did feel bad though, just throwing them in the trash, to be dumped like garbage.

Jen said...

Coonhound! Coonhound! You never have a problem with pests when you have a coonhound in the house.

Steph Thompson said...

Connie does not kill herself, she has the help of our mangy feline who is part feril...Miss Spits. Although she does bring them in as proud as if she had killed them herself!