it was time to put some mud flaps on it. He went out and purchased some Chevrolet ones to fit his truck.
Now, if you know Rick at all, you know that he never buys something and then just uses it in it's original form. He customizes EVERYTHING.
The mud flaps are no exceptions. You see, he really liked the size and shape of them, but he was not really down with the gold Chevy emblem.

His fix for that, was to tape off the whole thing, and then spray paint the gold. We went to Lowe's and purchased a can of flat black rubberized spray paint. Then Rick spent hours taping things off so that only the gold would be exposed and painted.
I am more of a get to the meat of it sort of person and couldn't understand why he wouldn't just paint the entire thing. It was all black and rubber any way, so why not get it done is 2 minutes instead of 2 hours.
That is not the way Rick operates. Finally, the mudflaps were all taped off and the gold emblem painted. They were set out in the sun to dry, and really did look great until he pulled the tape off and the paint peeled right off with it. All that time and effort for nothing.
As it turns out, all that he needed was a black magic marker to color right over the gold part.
You would never guess they had been anything but black.




7 comments:
Nice try Rick. When you want something you want it. And, it doesn't matter how long it takes. I am sorry that it didn't work the first time. But you have the satisfaction that you tried. Oh how we love magic markers......
That definitely sounds like Rick to me. Black magic marker would have been my first thought, so it's nice to know that it worked. I hope that he is happy with the results.
Is there no such thing as just all black mud flaps??
I have to admit that is something I would do to... trying something so elaborate and then come to find out I could have saved hours and a headache some other way!!
Love you Rick!
Although I think the mud flaps turned out good, I would think any true NASCAR fan would have the naked lady silhouettes on the back of their mud flaps.
On a second note, I am so jealous of anyone with a nice car or truck. I have never owned a nice car or truck and I am hoping someday to have the chance to own something that I was willing to spend hours painting mud flaps.
Richard is too smart to bring home naked lady mudflaps. He knows he might get slapped silly.
Nate, your day is coming. You will have that vehicle before you know it!
I was just reading Jef's blog and realized I have never owned a new vehicle. However, my latest vehicle is very nice and close to. I would have spent all that time too and had it peel off. That's how things happen for me. LOL love you Rick!
Three true necessities: duct tape, WD-40, and a magic marker....you can fix just about anything!
Post a Comment