Sunday, January 25, 2009

My Project

I have another little yard project going on in this lovely cool weather.

Some of you will remember that a while back I bought some castle block off craigslist. I got a smokin' deal on this stuff. They retail for over $2.00 a piece and I paid $40.00 for a guy's left overs. When we got them home and counted I had over 100 of them, so I paid about .40 a piece for them. I didn't really have anything clearly in mind to do with them at the time, but for that price, I knew I could find something.

On the west side of our front yard I have planted a hedge that I hope someday will provide some
privacy from the street. When I planted them, I
had to tear out some other shrubs that the pre-
vious owners had put in. On top of the dirt you
can see the curbing that they had put in to retain
it.


When we had the yard re-graded it made that deeper than the curbing, so I have needed to do something different there. Plus, we want to make the driveway as wide as possible. So, I was out wandering the yard a couple of weeks ago and the light bulb finally kicked on. I could use my castle block over there!

I cut the edge back another foot to widen out the driveway, which actually ends up giving us another
foot and a half of width.

It has taken 2 weekends to get this far with the project. I have decided that I really need to go three high, so I will have to spend a little more money to complete the project. I continue to keep my eye on craigslist though. You never know when someone else might have a few left overs for a great price!

I couldn't get the whole length in one shot, but I am very tickled with the curvature around my saguaro cactus. It really looks great.


I have also found a project for the curbing that
used to be there. That I will post later.


It was kind of fun yesterday when we were out
working in the yard. There was an older couple walking their dog. I'm sure that they are snow birds who live in the park to the west of us and are only here a few months a year.

We watched them go down the side of our yard and look at what we have done, then they came back and walked across the front looking in to the yard the whole time.

I will try to remember them when I think that our progress is too slow. Even though it takes time, it must look different.

9 comments:

Jen said...

It looks great. I can hardly wait until the weather is warm enough for me to work in my yard. I miss the great outdoors!

Denise said...

That looks awesome mom! I really need to come down. I could come any weekend really.

Anonymous said...

I second Jen's motion - I can't wait for reasonable weather to get out in the yard and work.

It looks great!

Nate said...

Shoveling or lifting heavy rock? I don't know which is worse, but at least you don't have to wear 5 layers of clothes to work in. It's funny because I think it looks great with only two layers, but I'm sure three layers will look even better.

On a side note, we got the Protege back and we need you guys to come back out here, so we can pile 4 people in the back seat and see if it is fixed.

Matt-n-Jef said...

You asked where I get my backgrounds? Pyzam.com & thecutestblogontheblock.

Pyzam messes everything up though. you have to re-enter everyones blogs and when you add pictures, they add as html. You don't see the picture downloaded in your preview page as a picture.

Grandmajoann said...

That is a long driveway. I think it looks great. Very tidy. Isn't it fun to make improvements! Just when you have it all the way you want it, that is when you will get a job in Utah and have to leave it! Hope, Hope.

Tilley/Booth said...

Well, Im ready to come down and check it out! You really have too much time on your hands if you can get all these projects done. I feel as if I don't even have time to come up with a project...and Ive been getting up at about 7:00 on the weekends!

Julie said...

I'm impressed, you do good work. As I was looking at your pictures I thought maby I like the snow so I don't have to do yard work right now but then I realized that we just do it in different seasons. My turn will come. Right now our fresh snow and cold temps make for a beautiful picutre, I should have taken some today.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully I will soon have a house to start projects on. And my list will be none to short, I am sure.
It does look really good! I am impressed!