Saturday, September 19, 2009

School Days

OK, so an update on the kids.


We took them over to Petsmart last Friday night because we were out of dog food. Boy dog launches in to a fit of barking the minute we get there and goes absolutely crazy pulling at his leash and lunging at everything and everybody in the store.


It is ridiculously embarrassing to have him act like such a mess. He crapped first thing and then wants to mark everywhere. While Ginger and I calmly walk the aisles, the dog training lady takes Rick and Whisky aside and proceeds to calm them both down. =)


They spent quite a while talking about boy dogs bad attitude, and when we leave we are the proud owners of 5 weeks of private training.


We started the very next day. The first lesson being about

everyone in the house knowing who is boss, and making sure

the dogs know it is not them. This is not as easy as is sounds as you all know.


She insisted on 2 walks a day. One in the morning and again

at night. This is fun for Rick, as he is the one who gets to

take both dogs together in the morning. We have each been

taking one in the evening so that they don't have to

compete with each other, as it seems everything is a big

competition with these two.


They are so freaking cute it is hard to stay mad at them for more than a couple of minutes.


Look at them! How could you stay mad?



Even when you come

in to the room and find something like this, you just kind of have to laugh about it. The other end of the paper is, of course, still attached to the roll. I'm sure it was a lot of fun to run with it in your mouth. I may actually have to try it sometime.












After a fun day doing stuff like that, everyone is exhausted!


Look at these 3 hairy little things, all tuckered out and asleep in the recliner.


When boy dog finally wears himself out, he pretty much just tips over. In true male fashion, he can sleep just about anywhere.








He do look comfy! He really do.


















Do NOT let looks deceive you here. Girl dog is not nearly as innocent as she looks when she is sleeping.
She has a stubborn streak that is longer than her tail, and she does not take crap from anyone.
Ain't she cute when she is asleep, though?







10 comments:

Kellie said...

That is so funny! See no regrets about getting them now huh? They are adorable, good luck with the training.

Grandmajoann said...

Oh my, all these dogs! I now know I am old, because just thinking of how much work they are makes me tired. I am glad you are enjoying them tho. and, it is good for conversation. The training sounds real good. I hope it works right away.

Steph Thompson said...

Scared of the half naked thing on the chair! But mostly I was wondering when you purchased a scotty dog?

Sheryl said...

HAHAHA I have had the Scotty for 10 years now. The training is going slow, but we are getting there.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, boy dog is so hilarious in his contorted sleeping positions. They are insanely obnoxious but I agree you really can't stay mad at them because they are so stinking eager to please. Good luck with the dominance training...it really helped Bella (she still tests the boundaries, and goes after Baby sometimes - but it was well worth the time).

Nate said...

I certainly feel for you on the training of the dogs. Bella barks and lunges at every dog that we see on our walks. It is beyond embarrassing, especially when the other dog doesn't bark back and their owner looks at you like it's all your fault. The joys of being a dog owner.

On another note, how much do those two dogs of yours weigh? In some of the pictures I'm imagining a 40lb dog/Basset Hound and in others I see a 10lb dog. I need some perspective on how big they are. With those little legs can they jump on the couch or chair by themselves? If so, I need a video of them doing it.

Sheryl said...

They weighed both of them at the microchip clinic yesterday. Boy dog weighs 10.9 lbs, and girl dog is a petite 9.6 or something like that. They have both gained a little since moving in with us. Girl dog has put a little padding on her badonk-a-donk. I like to pinch it, cause she was so bony before it tickles me that she has some meat on her now.

Sheryl said...

And, yes they can jump up on the furniture just as easily as Bella. They are sprung like little rabbits.

Jen said...

I'm giggling both about the boy dog's sleeping positions and the scotty dog.

Hopefully the training works out for you, but it it doesn't I can teach you how to use an electric collar.

Denise said...

I am freaking in love with these two! I can not wait to meet them. And you are so right...how can you stay mad at them for more than a minute? Animals are the greatest :)