
I thought I would let you all in on our current little project. It is kind of an interesting one.
This 'house' has never had any access to the attic space, and that is something that has been kind of bothering us. It is just sort of a curiosity to see what kind of construction, mess, weird wiring, etc. might have gone on in the past. We have wondered if we are living in an electrical hazard or if there was any space up there at all. Some of our ceiling lights just have pull strings, no switch. Some of the ones that do have switches, the switches are in weird places. That kind of stuff. Any way, Rick has been wanting to see what was
up there.
as we didn't have any. So, last weekend he got
busy and cut a hole in the front of the house.
It allowed us to discover that the construction of the roof isn't terrible, we have had mice up there,
It allowed us to discover that the construction of the roof isn't terrible, we have had mice up there,
the living room ceiling could be torn off and lifted, and there is plenty of room to do some rewiring. We could also use a little more insulation.
............and some how a little bit of the construction moved in to the living room.
Part of the deal was to mount the vents in to a door so that the space can be accessed. It is pretty cool. He managed to get it all finished in about a week's time.
Here is the nearly finished project. It is all trimmed out and waiting for primer. The only part of the puzzle still to be solved is how to finish the hinge side so that there is no gap. Then that lovely spot light fixture can go away and the wiring can be run so that we have a REAL porch light. What a concept.
This little project had to be completed before the porch roof went on, so I am hoping it doesn't get ridiculously hot anytime soon. Today was 90, but it is supposed to drop back in to the 70's for the weekend so cross your fingers for us.






9 comments:
Nice project! Isn't it nice to be home at the same time! Much more gets done. I would say, more storage space! It is always nice to know what is behind closed walls. Good going Rick!
A little scary to cut a hole in th front of the house, but beaver's are so very handy... nice job Rick! While you are having crazy heat, I am looking out into our, once again, snow covered yard... and it is still coming down. I can't wait to start some summer projects, I just don't know that winter is EVER going to end!
When I was talking to Rick on the phone, I certainly did not imagine that it was that big of project. I envisioned a 1'x 1' vent, not a huge door. That is certainly more of a project than I would be willing to take on. It looks fabulous.
I am certainly jealous of the heat. When the temperature gets up to 50 in Erie, people put on their tank-tops and shorts and start doing yard work.
That is no little project, But he did a great job. I dont think I would trust kay to cut a whole in the front of the house. Mybe with a little direction form Rick though.
You two are pretty dang handy. Good to know there aren't any dead bodies up there huh? LOL
It is quite the project. The hole cutting is just the tip of the iceberg, and as for dead bodies....we really don't know yet. Nobody has ventured very far back in there!
Very cool! Hopefully having your attic vented will actually help you stay a little cooler. You certainly do have a very handy beaver!
Nice Job Beaver.. Quite the handyman
Thank you everyone for your nice words and as for summer projects it won't be long before it gets too hot for such projects as working in the attic.
Post a Comment