Sunday, November 7, 2010

EXPERIMENTATION

Ah, fall in Arizona.  Such a beautiful time of year.  The leaves are turning and falling from the trees, children rake them in to piles and jump in scattering them helter skelter, there is a scent of burning firewood in the air and a crisp bite that tells us winter is just around the corner.  OH, WAIT!  That is NOT Arizona, that is everywhere else.

Here in Arizona it is apparently time to plant your garden.  As completely bas-akward as that sounds, it is apparently true.  I am experimenting a bit with veggies and to my surprise, having fair results so far.  I bought this little raised bed kit at Wal-Mart for 10 bucks a few weeks ago. It is only 4 ft in diameter, but if this goes well, I intend to put in larger raised beds and really get serious about it next year. 

We ate our first radish yesterday.  Along with the radishes in my raised bed I have carrots and onions coming up. 

As you can see, I have a net over the carrots, onions and radishes to keep the dogs from digging. They are particularly fond of the manure that I mixed in, Gingie will roll in anything stinky that she can find, and I don't really prefer to smell it on her.









In the front yard I am experimenting with zucchini and broccoli.  I am shocked and incredibly pleased to see blossoms on the zucchini and my broccoli is growing like crazy.  It should have heads appearing any time now.  I will probably have to come up with some way to keep the birds out.

So while you all are shoveling snow and scraping ice from your windshields every morning, I will be weeding my little gardens and hopefully enjoying some fresh produce.  I found a planting guide online and will soon be adding a tomato or two and maybe some peppers. 

Weird.

4 comments:

Grandmajoann said...

That is so interesting. I had never thought of it being so opposite of Utah. Good luck with all your produce. I'll bet you had a ball with the girls last weekend. They were adorable.

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy... can't wait for the snow :(

~Cynthia~ said...

While home grown veggies do sound delicious, I am ready for winter and no more yard work. I used to hate winter, now I find it much more relaxing than summer.

Jen said...

It does seem wrong to plant your garden in the fall, but I am impressed that you are already seeing results and enjoying your produce.