
As most of you know by now, I am a great procrastinator when it comes to anything medical. I hate finding a doctor. I hate making an appointment. And, I hate the infernal waiting forever while they monkey around getting to my turn.
It has only been about 6 months since we found out about Rick's hepatitis, and I have finally gotten around to getting tested. I would have done it along time ago, but his doctor refused to just order a blood test for me. He wanted me to come in for a consult first, which I thought was assinine. I may have been exposed. Just tell me whether or not I have it. So, I refused to go to him.
I guess I took my sweet time figuring out who to go to. I finally went on the UHC website and found a D.O. I really, really like her. She was very attentive, and very thorough. And she will also act as a vaginacologist, so I won't have to go back to the idiot I went to last time.
I DO NOT have hepatitis. That was very good to know. Even though I was fairly certain I didn't, it is good to get the report. What I DO have is an enlarged thyroid and high cholesterol. From the picture of my neck, you would never even know it!
I went in today and had an ultrasound on the thyroid, and had my mammies grammed as well. I do so look forward to that. How I wish they recommended doing it twice a year instead of only once!
I will be going back in a couple of weeks to determine what to do about it all. From what I have read on the web, the thyroid could be responsible for the cholesterol so I am not going to get all worked up over it. I have started having Cheerios for breakfast, because there are not enough chocolate chips in the world that you could put in oatmeal to make me eat it. I have also gone to green tea in the morning. Now if I would just get my fat butt to the gym I would be trying to control it with diet and exercise.
It is interesting to know that the symptoms of hypothyroid are very similar to those of menopause. There are probably more than a couple of women out there who just think the 'change' will never end. I guess I am lucky that I had to go get a blood test. Otherwise, I would still be one of them.

11 comments:
Oh my, old age is setting in. There is always something to worry about as you get older. I don't think you have anything that is serious. Your thyroid is probably being affected by some minor thing and will take care of itself. You can control Cholesteral with diet and exercise. Mine was 299 at one time and my Dr. would not put me on anything to help it. She said, just watch what you eat and exercise. But, then I have eaten alot of oatmeal. I was lucky to like it. The last time I had my physical it was down to 167. It has taken me 5 years or so to get it there. So I am glad she didn't put me on some stupid expensive pill. I am glad you had the mamogram and that it was okay. I am sorry that menopause is being so mean to you and to Cynthia. I hope it ends soon. How is Rick liking the day job. I hope you are surviving it. Love ya
Well at least you have found a physician you can stand to go to at this point. As a future jerk in training that is half the battle these days isn't it?
Hopefully the thyroid can be maintained by a hormone supplement and you can be done with it! Why does everything good and fun in life have to be so bad for us!! I am finally exercising regularly (and hating and despising every SECOND of it). But I will be damned if I am going to give up my treats and coffee and don't even think about taking my daily starbucks carmel macchiato in the afternoon away! Life would crumble around me, it is the only thing that keeps me going some days.
Well I guess we now know who gave Ang the faulty thyroid gene. Even if it's a completely different problem and has nothing to do with a deficient gene, I for one believe that all of our undesirable "traits" are the fault of our parents. We have to blame it on someone else because, really, who wants to blame him/her self. I know I don't.
I'm glad that your test came back negative and I will take back all those bad words I have been saying about you not updating us on Rick’s job. I talked to him yesterday and he doesn't start until next week. We will, however, expect of full update after his first day of work.
I take issue with the idea that I gave YOU the thyroid issue. It seems that you and Jo had it first, and therefore must have given it to ME. All diseases in later life are the result of stress from the children. ;-}
I have never looked forward to the idea of taking medication for the rest of my life, but I really do feel sort of 'off' so I am actually looking forward to it about now.
We will definitely do an update on Rick's day job. He starts on Monday. Apparently there is already a big project just sitting there waiting for him. He is quite excited about it, and also kind of bummed about leaving the mechanic job. His supervisor right now is one of the people we go to the races with and he has had a lot of fun working for Gary. Hi Gary!
I just lowered my cholesterol 40 points in 3 weeks by eating grapenuts with banana slices every morning. I didn't do anything else other than the slight bit of exercise I have started. You don't have to eat oatmeal. Special K with the strawberries in it, or any of the whole grain type of cereals will do the same thing. I happen to love oatmeal and whole grain cereals especially with strawberries or a banana on top.
I thought I had reached menopause since I haven't had a period since last May, but this week I had 8 months' worth of period in 3 days. If I'm not going to be done, I think I would rather have it once a month than what I just went through. I couldn't even put clothes on for fear of ruining them. Good thing I work at home.
I really need to settle down and find a doctor. I haven't been to one since I had my tubes tied and gallbladder out 11 years ago, and I haven't yet had a mammogram ever, which is really stupid of me.
Cynthia!! Get a physical done for pete's sake!
As a woman I am not looking forward to what either of the two of you are dealing with.... it's like we can't even catch a break EVER!h
Mother...I think that was a very clever response to Nate blaming you for the thyroid. Props to you :)
I too am eating cherrios, I have found the fruity ones to be quite tasty. I have my banana and hot choclate for breakfast and the Cherrio's for a mid morning snack! Yummy way to lower the Cholesteral...I hope.
Thank you, Denise. It only makes sense that I am not the giver, but the gettee of this disease.
Cynthia! You are worse than me. Find a nice lady D.O. It was actually a very pleasant experience. But you have to do it now. You can't wait for Ang.
I am quite enjoying my Cheerios and banana in the morning. I was doing a Fiber One bar. It was less messy, but I'll give this a shot and see what happens.
A couple of years ago my doctor told me that I had an enlarged thyroid too. Both the blood work and the ultra sound came back completely normal. On the one hand I was glad that I didn't have to take medication for it, but on the other hand I really wanted to find a reason a cure for the fact that I feel like crap all of the time. Oh well.
Two words, Jen. Second opinion.
Post a Comment