Saturday, November 22, 2008

On Ongoing Project

I have had this ongoing project ever since we moved in to the house 3 years ago. When we bought the house, the previous owners had started a backyard project, but had never finished it. It involved chunks of broken concrete that they had used to start building a raised flower bed. They had never actually completed the thing, so there was a pile of concrete chunks and a pile of dirt in the yard. They had run water to the area and had planted two citrus trees, but the trees were dead, there was grass growing up in it, and the whole thing was a big eyesore.





Our first winter here I finished building up the


bed, took out the dead trees and grass, moved the dirt


around, and if I do say so myself, had it looking about


300% better than it was. Down on the far end there was


some sort of desert tree that had come up voluntarily, and


there was some really pretty red and purple lantana planted


at both ends. It sort of just sat there like that for a year or so. The soil is so bad I wasn't really sure what to do with it.



When we bought our trailer and brought it in to the backyard to park it the first time, I realized that this thing was going to be a problem. Rick was not able to swing the truck wide enough to get it parked where we wanted it. Also, it was mostly just taking up space.


So, last winter I got this bee up my butt and decided it needed to go. But, what to do with it? Well, Rick came home
from work one day to find that I had thrown all the concrete over the fence and had rebuilt the bed on the outside and I was in the process of taking out the dirt one wheelbarrow full at a time around and filling it up.

There is no sidewalk over there. Just about 15 feet of dirt that slopes down to the curb and street.



By moving it outside the fence we got the space we needed to manuever the truck and trailer. It also makes the backyard look bigger.

In the front yard the previous owners had planted a cassia bush. These are fantastic desert plants. Once it gets big it is very dense, so it is a great privacy screen. And, they need NO water. We had three of them in our front yard in Las Vegas that survived completely on the limited rain that we got. Because the one in our front yard does get a little water, it is also very prolific. We get dozens of little starts from it, so I have been transplanting them to the new bed. Down at the far end of the picture you can see how some of them have taken off. I just planted some starts in the foreground that should be fairly established by summer. Once they are grown they will provide some privacy from the street and best part of it is, it was completely FREE!

7 comments:

Jessica said...

That sounds like way to much work, Now sit down and take a load off!

Grandmajoann said...

Oh my gosh! What we will do for free! It looks way nice and I give you a pat on the back for all that work.

Anonymous said...

Lord that is a massive on going project! That will be so nice to have the privacy from the street, well worth the work. I can totally picture you chucking the concrete over the fence!

Now that we are covered with 3 feet of snow, I am worried sick about my plants not making it through the winter, and thinking about all the things I want to do to the yard next spring. We lost a huge limb from the lilac bush in back on the first storm and my hibiscus is looking extremely sad. Nothing we can do now but wait.

Sheryl said...

Snow does make a mess of things sometimes. Especially heavy, wet snow. It will be interesting this year to see if I lose anything to frost.

We did OK last winter, but the winter before a lot of the plants I had just put in froze.

Nate said...

I guess your yard projects start up just when ours our winding down. I can't imagine doing yard work in 110 degree temperatures. I think we got most of the leaves picked up before the snow hit, so while you guys work in the yard; we will hibernate for the winter.

By the way, I think the flower bed looks much better on the outside of the fence and you have better utilized the space. Now you just need to tackle the waterfall!

Jen said...

What a great idea! I love the look of the bed by the street, and what a great bonus that you did it all for free.

Denise said...

Oh my mom and Jen love doing stuff for free haha! I can't believe you did all of that by yourself...twice!!! It looks great and I can definately see you throwing it over the fence too.