Saturday, October 25, 2008

Weekend Project


So, Rick decided on his weekend to take on the task of installing a drain in the front yard.


When we had the yard re-graded, we had it cut
in to a "V" with a low spot about 5 feet from the
edge of the porch. We did this because the house actually sits lower than the street level and there was no way to grade the yard to slope toward the street. This plan involved installing a drain in the low spot and hopefully piping the runoff out to the side street.
When we put the driveway in we layed a pipe underneath and are now finally getting to actually putting in the rest of the apparatus. The first picture shows the drain in the front yard and the pipe going under the driveway. The second picture is from the side street looking back in to the yard, and the third picture is Rick in the driveway looking at the trench going out to the street.
Surprisingly enough, it has not taken too awfully long to dig the trench. We should have it finished up today, and ready to try out next time it rains. Cross your fingers!
















7 comments:

Tilley/Booth said...

Godfrey! That looks like a lot of work! I'll be crossing my fingers for you when it rains.

Jen said...

I will also be crossing my fingers for you that it works. I'm now feeling guilty that I have spent most of my Saturday doing NOTHING!

Sheryl said...

Hey, some Saturday's are like that. Take one when you can get it. I am thrilled that we actually accomplished something! And, thanks to both of you for your crossed fingers. I hope that doesn't cause you any problems as it will probably not rain for months. LOL

Anonymous said...

Godfrey is right, you guys don't screw around! It has been raining here on and off for about a week now so I guess we are about to experience the really fun Erie winters.
I hope your drain works and no more flooding your front yard!!

Jen said...

Okay, so maybe I won't be crossing my fingers for you!

Grandmajoann said...

Wow, what a trench. I do hope it works. I hope you do get some rain. I know it has been raining in Pennsylvania for I have been watching the world series. Ang, are you rooting for the Phillies? But it would be nice for you to see how it works. Has it been filled in now?

Denise said...

I just love that everyone is using the saying "Godfrey". You may all thank Marge for that one :)